JEL classification: D 31; E 64; P 36
Introduction. In connection of the exacerbation of the global problem of poverty and property inequality, the crisis of existing social welfare systems, the attention of scholars and practitioners is focused on finding new tools for social protection of the population. As a consequence, scientific research and practical experiments on the introduction of unconditional basic income in the world are being updated.
The purpose of the article is to substantiate and determine the prerequisites for improvement of the social security system of the population based on the concept of basic income in Ukraine.
Results. The relevance of the study of the preconditions, advantages, potential results and problems of introduction of unconditional basic income in Ukraine are substantiated. The authors consider the theoretical grounds for the expediency of its application in our country to compensate citizens for lost access to natural resources in an oligarchic-clan economy.
An ability and sources of financing of unconditional basic income in Ukraine are analyzed. It is proposed to improve the taxation system (introduce a progressive income tax rate scale) and fiscal instruments (in particular in the area of natural resource rentals) for this purpose. The prerequisites for the introduction of basic income are defined: a high level of civic awareness and economic consciousness of the population, a stable and effective tax system, the deduction of income and property.
Based on the analysis of the social structure of the population of Ukraine, its citizens’ self-assessment of their incomes, the assumption is made about the inefficiency of basic income as a stimulator of human capital development in the direction of entrepreneurship and creativity in the short term after its introduction. It is suggested that basic income in Ukrainian realities can have a positive effect on solving problems such as labor emigration, demographic situation, decline of the Ukrainian village, which requires appropriate social experiments.
Conclusions. As a result, it is concluded that the use of unconditional basic income in Ukraine in combination with other social transfers is feasible under the conditions of: reforming the system of taxation and payments for the use of natural resources; legalization of shadow income; raising social standards to an objective level of satisfaction of human physiological and spiritual needs; strengthening the control over the efficiency of use of budgetary funds; stimulating investment in human capital; infrastructure improvements; raising the standard of living of the poorest population groups.
Key words: social security, social inequality, poverty, unconditional basic income, citizens’ incomes, social transfers.
- Public good or private wealth? (2019). Available at: https://oxfamilibrary.openrepository.com/bitstream/handle/10546/620599/bp-public-good-or-private-wealth-210119-en.pdf
- World inequality report (2018). Available at: https://wir2018.wid.world/files/download/wir2018-summary-russian.pdf
- Klevchik, L.L. (2019). «Social inequality as a major disproportion in society». Ekonomika ta derzhava: naukovo-praktychnyi zhurnal. no 4, pp. 48-51. Available at: http://www.economy.in.ua/pdf/4_2019/10.pdf
- Dluhopolskyi, O. V. & Dluhopolska, T. I. (2017). «The concept of unconditional basic income as an alternative to the Bismarckian model of the welfare state: from theoretical studies to experimental practices». Ekonomika: realii chasu. № 2(30). pp. 32–46.
- Korchynska O. O. (2018). «Unconditional basic income as a tool for poverty management.». Intelekt XXI. no pp. 98-101. Available at: http://nbuv.gov.ua/UJRN/int_XXI_2018_2_22
- What is the value of godfather capitalism for Ukraine? Available at: https://www.epravda.com.ua/rus/columns/2018/03/14/634957/
- Viter, K. Bezumovnyi bazovyi dokhid – chy mozhe vin staty alternatyvoiu riznomanitnym pilham. [Unconditional basic income – can it be an alternative to various benefits]. Available at: https://iprosvita.com/bezumovnyj-bazovyj-dokhid-chy-mozhe-vin-staty-alternatyvoiu-riznomanitnym-pilham/
- Do land, subsoil and other natural resources belong to the people of Ukraine? Available at: https://www.pravda.com.ua/columns/2019/03/14/7209165/
- Hevlych, I. H. (2019) «Basic income in Ukraine: economy and society». Zbirnyky naukovykh prats profesorsko-vykladatskoho skladu DonNU imeni Vasylia Stusa. Vol.1. pp. 14-16.
- Available at: https://index.minfin.com.ua/
- Nerivnist v Ukraini: masshtaby ta mozhlyvosti [Inequality in Ukraine: Scale and Impact]. (2012). In E.M.Libanovoi (ed.). Instytut demohrafii ta sotsialnykh doslidzhen imeni M.V. Ptukhy NAN Ukrainy. Кyiv. Ukraine.
- Official site of the State Statistics Service of Ukraine. Available at: http://www.ukrstat.gov.ua/
- Pyshchulina, O. Ekonomichna model «bezumovnoho bazovoho dokhodu»: nova sotsialna alternatyva. [Economic model of “unconditional basic income”: a new social alternative]. Available at: http://razumkov.org.ua/upload/1456388199_file.pdf
- Pushak Y. Y., Lagodiienko V. V. (2018). «Social responsibility of food industry enterprises as basis of modern economy innovative development». Actual problems of innovative economy, No 3, pp. 27-35.
- Salnikova O., Lagodiienko V., Ivanchenkova L., Kopytko V., Kulak N., Usachenko O. Evaluation of the effectiveness of implementation blockchain technology in public administration. International Journal of Innovative Technology and Exploring Engineering (IJITEE), Volume-8 Issue-9. Р. 1710-1713.
The article was received 11.09.2019