УДК 338. 001.36:69.003
JEL classification: L74; O18
Theoretical preconditions and practical approaches to determining the influence of the institutional environment on market competition in construction are analyzed. The CR-3 concentration indicator was chosen as a measure of the competition level in the primary real estate markets, and the indicators of the institutional environment development were chosen as factors, as it often determines the behavior of firms in the market.
The aim of the article is to analyze the impact of the institutional environment development on the indicators of concentration of housing markets.
Research methods. Correlation-regression analysis of the influence of a number of factors that directly or indirectly describe the institutional environment development in the regional markets of Ukraine on the resulting indicator – the market concentration ratio CR-3.
Results. The concentration of housing construction markets in different regions of Ukraine is studied on the basis of data on sales of square meters of newly built housing in different markets. Quite a high level of competition is in Kyiv, Lviv, Odessa, Zhytomyr region. Among the analyzed regions, the fewest companies are engaged in construction in Kirovohrad, Mykolaiv, Kherson, Sumy and Cherkasy regions. Other regions have a moderate level of concentration and an average level of developers’ activity in the primary housing markets. It is determined that the development of competitive relations in regional housing markets is influenced by the following factors: the percentage of united communities in their total planned number; the number of cities that have received authority for arch-building control; introduction of the institute of elders (share of the plan); number of funds to support investment and innovation activities; number of administrative service centers; infrastructure facilities created with the participation of local authorities.
Conclusions. It is revealed that one of the reasons for high market concentration and almost no competition in regional housing markets is the lack of institutional support for housing develop-ment, the presence of high administrative, economic, technical, organizational barriers to market entry, which is reflected primarily in high transactional levels, costs for developers, both during the entry into the new market and during the periods of its development and further functioning.
Key words: competition, concentration, institutional development, construction, correlation-regression analysis.
- Kyiv and Ukrainian Website. Available at: https://zabudovnyk.com.ua/uk/developers/region/all
- Veblen, (1984). Teoriya prazdnogo klassa. [Leisure class theory]. Translated and entry p. by Sorokina, S.G. Progress. Moscow. Russia.
- North, D.C. (1990a). Institutions, institutional change, and economic performance. Cambridge University Press. Cambridge.
- Uilyamson, O.I. (1996). Ekonomicheskie institutyi kapitalizma: Firmyi, ryinki, «otnoshencheskaya» kontraktatsiya. [Economic institutions of capitalism: firms, markets, “relational” contracting]. Translated by Blagova, Yu.E., Katkalo, V.S., Slavnova, D.S., Fedotova, Yu.V., Tsytovich, N.N.. Lenizdat; CEV Press. St. Petersburg. Russia.
- Bielienkova,Yu. and Tytok, V.V. (2020). «Formation of competition in the markets of the primary real estate: theoretical prerequisites, models, factors». Ways to Improve Construction Efficiency. no. 44, рр. 147 –164.
- Pavlov, V. and Pavlova,O.M. (2019). «Regional market of real estate: conjuncture, factors of formation and influence». International Journal of New Economics, Public Administration and Law. no. 1(3), рр. 135-145.
- Pavlov, K.V. (2018). Otsinka konkurentospromozhnosti rehionalʹnykh rynkiv zhytlovoyi nerukhomosti Ukrayiny. [Assessment of the competitiveness of regional residential real estate markets in Ukraine]. PrAT “Volynsʹka oblasna drukarnya”. Ukraine.
- Pavlov, K.V. and Pavlova, O.M. (2019). «Formation of competitive relations in regional residential real estate markets». Socio-Economic Problems of the Modern Period of Ukraine. 3, рр. 493-500.
- Grytsenko,S., Zapiechna, Yu.O. and Lysak, I.V. (2017). «Evaluation of concentration of primary real estate market in Donetsk region». Management of Development of Complex Systems. no. 32, рр. 110-113.
- Bugarya,N.I., Rogozhin, P.S. and V.G. (1993). Rynok, predpriyatiya i predprinimatel’skaya deyatel’nost’ v Ukraine. [Market, enterprises and entrepreneurial activity in Ukraine]. Ukrarhstroy-inform. Kyiv. Ukraine.
- Sorokina, L.V. and Goyko, A.F. (2016). «Analytical characteristics of the housing market development in Kyiv». Ways to Improve Construction Efficiency. no. 34, рр. 83-97.
- Tuhai, O.A., Pokolenko, V.O., Ryzhakova, H.M., Prykhodko, D.O., Lahutina, Z.V. and Stetsenko, S.P. (2012). «Modernized tools of construction development management». Ways to Improve Construction Efficiency. 27, рр. 86-98.
- Stetsenko, S.P. (2013). «Formation of the institutional environment to ensure the economic security of the region». Ahrosvit. № 23, рр. 69-72.
- Stetsenko, S.P. (2013). «System of indicators for monitoring the economic security of the region». Ekonomika ta derzhava. 12, рр. 62-65.
- Emelyanova, О. (2016). «The improvement of state regulation mechanism of regional development during the period of economic stagnation». Public Policy and Economic Development. Issue 7(11), рр.111-119.
- Bielienkova,Yu., Tsyfra, T.Yu. and Zapiechna, Yu.O. (2017). «Evaluation of concentration of new construction real estate market of Kyiv city and Kyiv region». Actual problems of economy. no. 6, рр. 196-203.
- NikolaievP., Hryhorovskyi P.Ye., Khyzhniak V.O., Ryzhakova G.M., Bielienkova O.Yu., Molodid O.S. (2019). Technical and economic aspects of real estate properties. Liha-Pres. Lviv. Ukraine.
- Mikhels, V.O., Shyliuk, P S., Hoiko, A.F. and Bondar, V.P. (2006). Ekonomiko – matematychni metody ta modeli u budivnytstvi. [Economic and mathematical methods and models in construction]. Milenium. Kyiv. Ukraine.
- Pomazunovska, T.O. and Tsyfra, T.Yu. (2019). «Estimation of financial stability of enterprises of the building industry in the period of 2012-2017». Ways to Improve Construction Efficiency. Issue 40, economic, pp. 174-182.
- Hrytsenko,S., Rubtsova, O.S. and Bolila, N.V. (2017). «Assessment of the concentration of the real estate market of Rivne and Kherson regions». Ways to Improve Construction Efficiency. Issue 35, pp. 111-119.
The article was received 11.03.2020