JEL classification: L83
Introduction. Ecotourism is one of the fastest growing sectors in the modern tourism industry. Some countries are even trying to use ecotourism as a tool to achieve sustainable development.
The purpose of the article is to analyze and assess the impact of government regulation instruments on the development of ecotourism destination.
Results. The article is aimed at studying the current state of ecotourism and ecotourism destination in Ukraine. The attempt was made to give a critical analysis of the consequences and problems of ecotourism in Ukraine and substantiated recommendations for best practices in ecotourism. The article tries to answer the following questions: if there are opportunities and challenges for ecotourism in Ukraine; what instruments of state regulation affect the development of ecotourism destination; whether ecotourism can be a useful tool for sustainable development of the country; how ecotourism can be an effective means of developing and conserving available resources. The analysis shows that Ukraine has many opportunities for the development of ecotourism but its effective practice and implementation are not promising due to the lack of commitment to public policy and planning strategy with an integrated combination of conservation and development. Thus, the proper design of ecotourism, the principles and theories of ecotourism should be considered as the main basis while shaping effective policy and planning. The proposed model of principles of sustainable development is based on ecotourism destination. The main levers of state influence on ecotourism destination in Ukraine are grouped. Four principles of sustainable development based on an ecotourism destination have been identified, which include – minimizing negative impact on the environment, respecting host cultures, maximizing welfare and benefits for the local population, and increasing tourist satisfaction.
Conclusion. It has been established that the concept of sustainable development of ecotourism should be adopted in all ecotourism directions in order to meet the needs of vacationers as a priority. This requires effective tools of state regulation of the development of an ecotourism destination.
Key words: ecotourism destinations, government regulation, government influence, ecotourism, sustainable development.
- Barbu, C., Negulescu, M., Barbu, I. (2012). А theoretical study between the two environmental management systems: eco management audit scheme emas – and iso 14000. Journal of Environmental Management and Tourism, vol. 3, no. 2, р 59-69.
- Burkaltseva, D. et al. (2020). Analysis of the Functioning of the Tourist and Recreational Industry in Conditions of Restrictions. Journal of Environmental Management and Tourism. 11, no. 8, pр. 1902-1914.
- Burkaltseva, D.D., et al. (2017). Assessing the Effects of Investments into Innovative Activity as a Regional Competitiveness Factor. International Journal of Applied Business and Economic Research. № 15(8), рр. 11-27.
- Cobbinah, P. B., Amenuvor, D., Black, R., and Peprah, C. (2017). Ecotourism in the Kakum Conservation Area, Ghana: Local politics, practice and outcome. Journal of Outdoor Recreation and Tourism, 20: 34–44. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jort.2017.09.003
- Danilova, E.I. and Marchenko, V.M. (2019). Planning of Enterprise Economic Safety on the Basis of System-Structural Approach. Journal of Advanced Research in Law and Economics, № 10(1), рр. 104-114.
- Dunets A. et al. (2019). The Economic and Infrastructural Basis for the Development of Tourist Space: The Essence, Structure and Typology. Journal of Environmental Management and Tourism. 10, nо. 2, рp. 319-327.
- Ikei, H., Song, C., Kagawa, N. and Miyazaki, Y. (2014). Physiological and psychological effects of viewing forest landscapes in a seated position in one-day forest therapy experimental model. Nihon Eiseigaku Zasshi. № 69(2), pp. 104-10.
- Kuznetsov, V.S., and Suprun, I.K. (2017). Reduction of an adverse impact during well drilling by means of drilling waste usage. Journal of Ecological Engineering, 18(2): 12-15.
- Mathew, P. V., and Sreejesh, S. (2017). Impact of responsible tourism on destination sustainability and quality of life of community in tourism destinations. Journal of Hospitality and Tourism Management, 31: 83–89. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhtm.2016.10.001
- Ochiai, H., Ikei, H., Song, C. et al. (2015). Physiological and psychological effects of forest therapy on middle-aged males with high-normal blood pressure, International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, 12(3): 2532-2542.
- Tretyakova, T., Savinovskaya, A. (2016). Eco Tourism as a Recreational Impact Factor on Human Condition. Journal of Environmental Management and Tourism, vol. 7, no. 1, pp. 112-119.
- Polyakova, A.G., Akhmetshin, E.M., Goloshchapova, L.V., Rakhmeeva, I.I., Noeva, E.E., and Rakovskiy, V.I. (2018). A model of regional economic space modernization. European Research Studies Journal, № 21 (2), pp. 624-634.
- Iurchyshyna, L.I. (2017). «Destination as the basis of regional tourism development». Economics Bulletin. 4, pp.77-84.
- Bezuhla, L. S., Demchuk, N. I. (2019). «Socio-economic aspects and prerequisites for the development of enterprises in the ecotourism industry». Ahrosvit, № 18, рр. 24-28.
- Bezuhla L., Kinash I., Andrusiv U., Dovgal O. (2019). Attracting Foreign Direct Investment as an Economic Challenge for Ukraine in the Context of Globalization. Paper presented at the 7th International Conference on Modeling, Development and Strategic Management of Economic System, Ivano-Frankivsk National Technical University of oil and gas, TC Bukovel, 24-25 October.
The article was received 11.07.2020