JEL classification: F 43; Q 10
The new reality of the domestic socio-economic environment is an increase in the openness of the national economy – an increase in the share of foreign trade turnover in the structure of public production. Ukrainian society has an extremely pressing issue on its agenda – how to save a place in a group of countries between the center and the periphery, and not to get there into the periphery zone forever.
The purpose of the article is to find out how the openness of the national economy influences the sustainable development of regional agro-food production.
A positive consequence of increasing the openness of the national economy to the sustainable development of regional agro-food production is the increase in the access of Ukrainian farmers to foreign markets with high capacity. Increasing access to overseas markets enables Ukrainian producers to leverage their existing resources and maximize their revenue. An important result for the national economy of increasing access to foreign markets for domestic producers is the increase in foreign exchange earnings. The negative impact of increasing the openness of the national economy on regional agro-food production is as follows: increasing the risk of the Dutch disease in Ukrainian agriculture; over-exports of the agricultural raw materials (it causes unused reserves of increasing the share of value added by increasing the degree of processing and causing damage to the food security of the state); the development of monoculturalism, which has a negative impact on rural employment; increasing the risk of erosion and degradation of agricultural land.
Keywords: sustainable development, agro-food production, opens economy, over-exports, raw materials, added value, food security, rural unemployment, soil destruction.
- Yermakov, O.Yu., Melnychenko, V.V. (2017). «Bioenergy potential of agricultural enterprises». Ekonomika APK. № 11, рр. 5-11.
- Kotykova, O.I. (2017). «Monitoring and evaluation of the agricultural land use sustainability of Ukraine’s regions». Ekonomika APK. № 5, рр. 24-32.
- Lopatynskyi, Yu.M., Burynska, O.I. (2018). «Components and priorities of sustainable development of the agrarian sector of the economy: conceptual and theoretical discourse». Ekonomika APK. № 6, рр. 94-102.
- Radchenko, O.D. (2019). «Financial potential of sustainable development of the agrarian sector». Ekonomika APK. № 1, рр. 27-38.
- Zinchuk, T.O., Levkivskyi, Ye.V. (2019). «Corporate social responsibility of vertically integrated entities as a condition of sustainable development». Ekonomika APK. № 1, рр. 39-49.
- Lutkovska, S.M. «Fundamentals of environmental and economic security of the agro-industrial complex in terms of sustainable development: theoretical-conceptual aspects». Ekonomika APK. № 12, р. 87.
- Spaskyi, H.V. (2017). «Efficiency of foreign economic activity of borderline Zakarpattia». Ekonomika APK. № 7. рр. 83-89.
- Lagodiienko, V. (2019). «Food security of the Black Sea region: status, trends, prospects». Economic and Food Security of Ukraine. № 6 (3-4), рр. 16-25. https://doi.org/10.15673/efs.v6i3-4.1282 .
- Holomsha, N.Ye., Holomsha, O.Ya. (2019). «Correlation-regression modeling of competitiveness of ukrainian wheat on the world markets». Ekonomika APK. № 10, рр.
- Seheda, S.A. (2019). «Agro-food products in commodity structure of the foreign trade of Ukraine». Ekonomika APK. № 2, рр. 73-83.
- Vlasova, K.M. «Conceptual framework for the formation of a strategy for overcoming barriers for enterprises’ entry into new foreign markets». Ekonomika APK. № 7, рр.
- Statystychnyj zbirnyk «Rehiony Ukrainy» [Statistical publication. “Regions of Ukraine” 2019]. (2019) Part II. Kyiv: State Statistics service of Ukraine. Кyiv. Ukraine.
- Oilseeds: World Markets and Trade (2020). Foreign Agricultural Service/USDA. Global Market Analysis, February. Available at: https://apps.fas.usda.gov/psdonline/circulars/oilseeds.pdf
The article was received 12.09.2019