JEL classification: D10; D14; E21
Introduction. The economic development of any society is determined by its needs, so when analyzing long-term changes in the economic system, attention is focused on the parameters of social welfare. People’s perception of the level of their well-being is historically determined and depends on the prevailing criteria for assessing human well-being at a particular time and place. In modern Ukraine, the level and standards of living of the population does not meet world standards of living, the level of real incomes of many citizens is extremely low, economic and social differentiation between rich and poor is extremely high. In this regard, improving public welfare is the central task of the state in the formation and implementation of economic policy.
The purpose of the article is to study the state economic policy as a tool to improve the social welfare system.
Results. Models of state influence on public welfare are considered: liberal, neoclassical, neo-Keynesian (“welfare state”, social market economy). The study of models of state influence on public welfare allowed to determine the directions of state intervention: external effects, production of public goods, influence on asymmetric information, leveling of cyclical fluctuations, policy of support and growth of incomes, protection of competition. The legal framework for the formation of social standards in our country is not developed. The priority tasks of the state in the fight against poverty have been identified. Recommendations for further development of social partnership are given.
Conclusions. The state takes a number of measures aimed at ensuring the growth of social and individual well-being at both the national and regional levels. At the same time, the measures taken are often ineffective due to the lack of the main basis in the mechanism of improving welfare – the goal of meeting the specific needs of the individual and society. It is based on needs that the minimum wage, the level of pensions and scholarships and other social standards should be determined. Collective and social needs must be taken into account in the distribution of both corporate profits and state budget revenues. The focus of public policy to meet needs will increase its effectiveness.
Key words: social welfare, poverty, state economic policy, social policy.
- Konstytutsiia Ukrainy // Vidomosti Verkhovnoi Rady Ukrainy (VVR). [The Constitution of Ukraine // Information of the Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine (ІVR).] 1996. №30.
- Sen, A. K. (1993). Capability and Well-being. In the Quality of Life. (edited by Nussbaum M. and. Sen A. K.). Oxford: Clarendon Press.
- Stratehichni zasady aktyvizatsii investuvannia pidpryiemstv z derzhavno-pryvatnoho partnerstva v systemi vidtvorennia suspil’nykh blah v Ukraini. [Strategic principles of activating investment of public-private partnership enterprises in the system of reproduction of public goods in Ukraine]. (2017). In Il’chuka V. P. (ed.). ChNTU. Chernihiv. Ukraine.
- Rozvytok liuds’koho kapitalu: na shliakhu do iakisnykh reform. [Development of human capital: on the way to quality reforms]. In O. Pischulinoi (ed.). Tsentr Razumkova. Кyiv. Ukraine. Available at: https://razumkov.org.ua/uploads/article/ 2018_LUD_KAPITAL.pdf
- Landar, S.L., Kozarenko, L.V. (2013). «The level of well-being of the population as a component of human potential development: opportunities for financial regulation in Ukraine». Finansy Ukrainy. № 9, рр. 44-59.
- Pro prozhytkovyj minimum: Zakon Ukrainy. [The Law of Ukraine «On state social standards and state social guarantees»] № 2017-III of 05.10.2000. Available at: https://zakon.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/966-14#Text.
- Pro derzhavni sotsial’ni standarty ta derzhavni sotsial’ni harantii: Zakon Ukrainy. [The Law of Ukraine «On state social standards and state social guarantees»]. № 2017-III of 05.10.2000. Available at: https://zakon.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/2017-14#Text.
- Official site of the State Statistics of Ukraine. Available at: http://ukrstat.gov.ua.
The article was received 30.07.2021