УДК 332.13: [339.9:338.43]
JEL classification: P48; Q17
Introduction. The intensification of globalization processes that characterize the beginning of the new millennium has led to the emergence of supranational structures of regional and global scope. The deepening of Ukraine’s integration into the international trading space causes new opportunities and threats. The relatively large size of the territory of Ukraine as a European state and its administrative structure causes a number of differences in the socio-economic development of its regions. Identifying regional differences in foreign trade in agri-food products and their causes is an urgent task of the study, given the leading role of the agro-industrial sector in Ukraine’s foreign trade.
The aim of the study is to identify regional differences of foreign trade in agri-food products and identify their causes.
Results of work. The analysis results of foreign trade in agro-food products on the average for 2016-2018 by regions are given. It is determined that the four leading export regions are Mykolaiv, Odesa, Kyiv and Vinnytsia, as they account for about 47,9 %. The regions were evaluated according to the following indicators: the volume of regional exports, the volume of production of cereals and legumes, the production of sunflower seeds. According to the results of the analysis, each region was assigned a corresponding rank, on the basis of the values of which the correlation coefficients of the regions ranks were calculated. It is determined that there is a close link between the region’s place in the national agri-food export ratings and the production of cereals and legumes; and there is a median link between the region’s place in the national agri-food export and sunflower seed ratings. Imports of agro-food products by regions are considered, where Kiev region is the absolute leader, which together with Odessa, Lviv and Dnipropetrovsk regions have 64.5 % of all corresponding imports. The analysis of agro-food products import by groups of goods is presented. The regions ranking by import volumes of agri-food products and disposable income per person has been done. The obtained coefficient of correlation of ranks testifies to the average degree of relation close to high.
Conclusions. It is proved that the differences in the volumes of crop production mainly cereals, legumes and sunflower are the basis for regional differentiation of agricultural food exports, which testifies to the raw nature of exports, stagnation of livestock and unsatisfactory development of the domestic food industry. Differentiation of imports of agro-industrial products is caused by the difference in income of the population by regions.
Keywords: agro-food products, export, import, balance, production, raw materials, processing, disposable income.
- Zakon Ukrainy «Uhoda pro asotsiatsiiu mizh Ukrainoiu, z odniiei storony, ta Yevropejs’kym Soiuzom, Yevropejs’kym spivtovarystvom z atomnoi enerhii i ikhnimy derzhavamy-chlenamy, z inshoi storony». [Law of Ukraine «Association Agreement between Ukraine, of the one part, and the European Union, the European Atomic Energy Community, and their Member States, of the other part»]. (2014). Dated 21 March 2014, № 984_011. Official Bulletin of Ukraine, 75. tom 1, р. 83.
- Mykolska, Ukraine: Free Trade Agreements. Available at: https://issuu.com/nataliyamykolska/docs/broschure_free_trade_agreements
- Lysak, M.A. (2016). «Impact of the Association Agreement with the EU on foreign trade in food products». Ekonomika APK. № 10, рр. 66-72.
- Lysak, M.A., Sheremet, O.O. (2017). «Foreign trade in terms of Ukraine’s integration». Ekonomika APK. № 12, рр. 69-74.
- Spaskyi,V. (2017). «Efficiency of foreign economic activity of borderline Zakarpattia». Ekonomika APK. № 7, рр. 83-89.
- Holomsha, N.Ye., Dziadykevych, O.Ya. (2017). «Competitive advantages of grain production on the world market». Ekonomika APK. № 11, рр. 61-66.
- Holomsha, N.Ye., Holomsha, O.Ya. (2019). «Correlation-regression modeling of competitiveness of ukrainian wheat on the world markets». Ekonomika APK, № 10, рр. 88.
- Seheda, S.A. (2019). «Agro-food products in commodity structure of the foreign trade of Ukraine». Ekonomika APK, № рр. 73-83.
- Vlasova, K.M. (2019). «Conceptual framework for the formation of a strategy for overcoming barriers for enterprises’ entry into new foreign markets». Ekonomika APK, № 7, рр. 83.
- Statystychnyj zbirnyk «Rehiony Ukrainy» 2019. [Statistical publication (2019). «Regions of Ukraine» 2019]. Part II. State Statistics service of Ukraine. Kyiv. Ukraine.
The article was received 08.07.2019