JEL classification: F13, F14
Introduction. Currently, food exports from Ukraine are in transition. The loss of the Russian market has made it necessary for Ukrainian exporters to find new markets, this search cannot be stopped due to the development of the food industry and food producers. Another reason for finding new markets is the decline in demand for certain food and low wages, which leads to lower profits for processors in the domestic market.
The purpose of the research is to study the Chinese meat and dairy market and prospects for its development for food producers and exporters from Ukraine. In conducting research, a set of the following methods and techniques of scientific knowledge was used: abstract-logical, monographic and economic statistics, methods of analysis and synthesis (in assessing factors for development market processes), the method of scientific comparison.
Results. The article considers the current situation on the market of the Republic of China in the production, import and consumption of meat and dairy products. The import indicators of the most popular product categories, namely the value and quantitative indicators of 2019, have been studied. The largest exporters of all categories of products considered in the article were identified, as well as last year’s production figures and forecasts for future years. The main trends in industrial development were identified. The export system of products to the Republic of China was described and explained with the help of structural-functional method, properties and characteristics of dairy and meat products import were determined by comparison, abstract-logical method allowed to generalize and formulate conclusions and tips for entering the PRC market.
Conclusions. The study identified the most popular products of the meat and dairy industry, and explained their distribution. The current state of the food industry in Ukraine is determined, and recommendations for exporters on the choice of export products and preparation for export are provided. Development of standards and guides for the export development of Ukraine’s meat and dairy products to China would be in great value.
Keywords: market, export, agri-food products, meat and dairy industry, development.
- Karpiak, M. O. (2018). «Meat and meat products market in Ukraine in the context of European integration: foreign economic aspects». Sotsialno-ekonomichni problemy suchasnoho periodu Ukrainy. Issue 3, pp. 18-21.
- Kovinko, O. M., Kovalska, V. Yu, Yemberhenova, K. R. (2016). «Marketing research of the meat market in Ukraine». Naukovyi visnyk Khersonskoho derzhavnoho universytetu. Ser.: Ekonomichni nauky. Issue 21(1), pp. 113-116.
- Fedulova, I. (2018). «Dairy market of Ukraine: opportunities and threats». Tovary i rynky. № 1, рр. 15–28.
- Tiukha, V., Kozachok, I.A. (2016). «The state of the milk market: global and domestic aspect». Investytsii: praktyka ta dosvid. № 2, рр. 33-37.
- Zhou, Z. & Liu, Hong-Bo & Cao, L. & Tian, Wei-Ming & Jimin, Wang. (2014). Food consumption in China: The revolution continues. 10.4337/9781782549208.
- Li, Xiang & Yan, Changguo & Zan, Lin. (2018). Current situation and future prospect of beef production in China. Asian-Australasian Journal of Animal Sciences. 31. 10.5713/ajas.18.0212.
- Schneider, Mindi. (2014). China’s Pork Miracle? Agribusiness and Development in China’s Pork Industry. 10.13140/RG.2.1.3133.6489.
- Xie, Chaoping & Marchant, M. (2015). «Supplying China’s Growing Appetite for Poultry». The International Food and Agribusiness Management Review. Volume 18, рр. 115-136.
- Zhou, G.H. & Zhang, Wangang & Xu, Xing-Lian. (2012). China’s meat industry revolution: Challenges and opportunities for the future. Meat science. № 92, рр. 188-96. 10.1016/j.meatsci.2012.04.016.
- Shahriar, Saleh & Qian, Lu & Kea, Sokvibol. (2019). Determinants of Exports in China’s Meat Industry: A Gravity Model Analysis. Emerging Markets Finance and Trade. №55, рр. 1-22. 10.1080/1540496X.2019.1578647.
- Ortega, D & Wang, H.Holly & Eales, J. (2009). Meat demand in China. China Agricultural Economic Review. 1. 410-419. 10.1108/17561370910989248.
- org 2019. Availiable at: https://www.trademap.org/Index.aspx
- Hoskin, Roger & Law, Jonathan & Gooch, Elizabeth. (2017). China’s Dairy Supply and Demand. 10.13140/RG.2.2.12045.69603.
- Dai, Jiawu & Wang, Xiuqing. (2014). Is China’s dairy processing industry oligopolistic and/or oligopsonistic? China Agricultural Economic Review. № 6, рр. 644-653. 10.1108/CAER-01-2014-0004.
- Beghin, John & Fuller, Frank & Rozelle, Scott. (2007). Consumption of dairy products in urban China: Results from Beijing, Shangai and Guangzhou. Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics. 51. 10.1111/j.1467-8489.2007.00379.x.
The article was received 06.10.2020