JEL classification: R53; Q13; R10
Introduction. Today, tourism is increasingly reproduced not as a sphere of services, but as an industry of the impressions, and impressions become “a user’s purpose”. Tourism is one of the main services for the “production” of impressions, so the destination is aimed at the creation of tourists’ impressions as a system.
With the growing competition in the international tourism market, the destination is in everlasting search for innovative promotion technologies. The formation of tourism brands has become an effective tool used by competitors. Destination brand development is considered as one of the leading strategic development trends, which is essential for the promotion of destinations in national and international markets and ensures a stable tourist flow. The main task of the brand is: to get acquainted with the guidelines of tourism to choose the “individual trajectory” of the route taking into account the peculiarities of a particular place of attraction. The excellent (specific) attractive potential allows to create unique brand areas that allow tourists to navigate the market much better, choosing the destinations that meet their needs and expectations.
The purpose. This article presents the study of gastronomic branding as an innovative technology for promoting destinations in the international tourism market.
Results. The relationship between gastronomy and tourism, the role of gastronomy in motivating tourists, innovative approaches to gastronomic branding of destinations are considered. The article presents the classification of gastronomic brands by levels of exporting goods, the impact of gastronomic branding on the overall brand of the destination is analyzed.
Conclusions. Gastronomic branding can be considered in Ukrainian tourism practice as one of the innovative technologies to promote the destination in the international tourism market. Gastronomic branding is a voluminous topic that needs further study. It is important to study world trends in the market of gastronomic events, the classification of gastronomic events; research, creation and promotion of the gastronomic brand of Ukraine and some Ukrainian destinations in the international market; search and use of gastronomic context for the formation of new and expansion of existing tourist offers.
Keywords: Gastronomic brand, tourist destination, destination promotion, gastronomic identity.
- Baker, B. (2012). Destination branding for small cities. 2nd edition. Portland, Oregon: Creative Leap Book.
- Yangzhou, Hu., Ritchie, J. R. B. (1993). Measuring destination attractiveness: a contextual approach. Journal of Travel Research. Vol. 32, No. 2. pp. 25-34.
- Gilmore, J. H., Pine, B. J. (2009). Authenticity: what consumers really want. Journal of Product Innovation Management. Vol. 26. pp. 355–356.
- Boyne, S., Hall, D. (2004). Place promotion through food and tourism: rural branding and the role of websites. Place Branding. Vol. 1, No. 1. pp. 80–92.
- Fields, K. (2002). Demand for the gastronomy tourism product: motivational factors. Tourism and gastronomy. 1st Edition. pp. 36–50.
- Chang, R. C. Y., Kivela, J., Mak, A. H. N. (2010). Food preferences of Chinese tourists. Annals of Tourism Research. Vol. 37, No. 4. pp. 989–1011.
- Carvache-Franco, M., Carvache-Franco, W., Carvache-Franco, O. [et al.] (2020). Segmentation, motivation, and sociodemographic aspects of tourist demand in a coastal marine destination: a case study in manta (Ecuador). Current Issues in Tourism. Vol. 23, No. 10. pp. 51–55.
- Kharenko, D., Dyshkantiuk, O., Salamatina, S., Kovalenko, L. (2018). Research of the gastronomic brand of tourist destination. Technology audit and production reserves. Vol. 3, No. 5(41). pp. 15–21. https://doi.org/10.15587/2312-8372.2018.135484
- Witt, C. A., Wright, P. L. (1992). Tourist motivation: life after Maslow. Choice and demand in tourism.In Johnson, P.; Thomas B. (ed.). pp. 33-35.
- Uysal, M., & Jurowski, C. (1994). Testing the push and pull factors. Annals of Tourism Research. №21, рр. 844-846. doi:10.1016/0160-7383(94)90091-4
- Greg, R. (2003). Gastronomy: an essential ingredient in tourism production and consumption? Tourism and gastronomy. Routledge, 1st Edition. рр. 17-34.
- Scarpato, R., Daniele, R. (2003). New global cuisine: tourism, authenticity and sense of place in postmodern gastronomy. Food Tourism Around the World. 1st Edition. pp. 296–313.
The article was received 18.01.2021