JEL classification: E31
In the period from 1996 to 2021, the consumer price index (CPI) in Ukraine grew at an average annual rate of 112.9%. This is galloping inflation. The share of monetary factors in the formation of the CPI within the analyzed period did not exceed 3%. The share of non-monetary factors was 81.4%. The greatest influence on the formation of the CPI is exerted by the prices of agricultural products and tariffs for housing and communal services, as they account for 77.4% of the variability of the functional feature (CPI). At the same time, the tariffs of housing and communal services account for more than 50% of the impact. Industrial and agricultural prices accounted for almost a third of the functional feature variation (CPI). The identified links and their quantitative characteristics indicate that the Ukrainian economy is dominated by cost inflation. Its main reasons were rising prices for industrial goods, especially energy. The resumption of open large-scale Russian military aggression against Ukraine has become an additional factor in inflation: occupation of territories, destruction of production and infrastructure facilities, rupture of logistics chains, shock growth of consumer demand in regions of refugees concentration, increase in production costs, etc., caused a sharp jump in prices for food, fuel, transport services, etc. The hostilities led to an unplanned increase in the state budget deficit. To cover it, the government sold domestic government bonds. The issue of bonds is accompanied by the issue of money. In the short run, inflationary pressures of money supply are inferior to non-monetary factors. However, as soon as this money enters the consumer market, it will provoke a new round of inflation growth.
Keywords: inflation, Paasche index, consumer price index, monetary factors, non-monetary factors, cost inflation, war, budget deficit, money issue.
- State statistics service of Ukraine (2022). Gross domestic product (1990-2020) (2016 = 100) taking into account the revision of balance of payments data. Available at: http://ukrstat.gov.ua/operativ/operativ2021/vvp/kvartal_new/vvp_rik/vvp_rik90-20.xlsx
- Wikipedia (2022). Available at: https://uk.wikipedia.org/wiki/Інфляція
- Paskhaver, B. (2019). Price circumstances of the agro-food complex development. Ekonomika Ukrainy, no. 2, pp. 49-61. https://doi.org/10.15407/economyukr.2019.02.049
- Pustovoit, O. (2017). «Economic growth in Ukraine: problems and revival prospects». Ekonomika i prohnozuvannia, no. 4, pp. 71-92. https://doi.org/10.15407/eip2017.04.071
- Bandura, O.V. (2019). «Cyclism as a form of combining stability and instability in economic development». Ekonomika i prohnozuvannia, no. 4, pp. 7-23. https://doi.org/10.15407/eip2019.04.007
- Bandura, O.V. (2021). «Optimization of macroeconomic policy and stabilization of cyclical economic dynamics». Ekonomika i prohnozuvannia, no. 4, pp. 102-124. https://doi.org/10.15407/eip2021.04.102
- Shpychak, O.M. (2016). «The matter of price-formation within the contest of pupulation`s purchasing capacity and inflation processes». Ekonomika APK, no. 6, pp. 59-70.
- Danylyshyn, B. (2022). «Fighting against inflation: are monetary methods always appropriate?». Ukrainska pravda, February 22. Available at: https://www.epravda.com.ua/columns/2022/02/21/682546/
- Mudrak R., Lagodiienko V. (2018). «Agroinflation and the consumer price index for food products: a comparative analysis of Ukraine-EU». Ekonomika Ukrainy. 1 (674). http://nbuv.gov.ua/UJRN/EkUk_2018_1_4
- Mudrak R., Nyzhnyk I., Lagodiienko V., Lagodiienko N. (2019). Impact of Seasonal Production on the Dynamics of Prices for Meat and Dairy Products in Ukraine. TEM Journal. Volume 8, Issue 4, Pages 1159-1168. DOI: 10.18421/TEM84-08.
- State statistics service of Ukraine (2022). Gross domestic product by final use categories for 2016-2020, taking into account the data of the balance of payments data. Available at: http://ukrstat.gov.ua/operativ/operativ2021/vvp/kvartal_new/vvp_rik/vvpkkv16-20.xlsx
- State statistics service of Ukraine (2022). Consumer price indices in 1991–2021 (to previous mouth). Available at: http://ukrstat.gov.ua/operativ/operativ2020/ct/isc_rik/isc1991-2020pm.xls
- National Bank of Ukraine (2022). Estimation of inflation, March 2022. Available at: https://bank.gov.ua/admin_uploads/article/CPI_2022-03.pdf?v=4
- State statistics service of Ukraine (2022). Publication «Statistical Yearbook of Ukraine». Available at: http://ukrstat.gov.ua/druk/publicat/kat_u/2021/zb/11/Yearbook_2020.pdf; http://ukrstat.gov.ua/druk/publicat/Arhiv_u/01/Arch_zor_zb.htm
- State statistics service of Ukraine (2022). Industrial producer price indices in 1991-2021 (to previous month). Available at: http://ukrstat.gov.ua/operativ/operativ2021/ct/icv_rik/icv1991-2021_pm.xlsx
- State statistics service of Ukraine (2022). Price indices for agricultural production sold by enterprises (1996-2021). Available at: http://ukrstat.gov.ua/operativ/operativ2020/sg/icsh/icrp_96-20_ue.xls
- State statistics service of Ukraine (2022). Express issue, April 4. Available at: http://ukrstat.gov.ua/express/expr2022/04/30.doc
- State statistics service of Ukraine (2022). Weight structure for calculating the CPI. Available at: http://ukrstat.gov.ua/operativ/operativ2008/ct/isc/vs_08_u.htm
- Ministry of Finance of Ukraine (2022). The General Fund Of The State Budget Received UAH 76.2 billion In April 2022. Available at: https://mof.gov.ua/en/news/u_kvitni_2022_roku_do_zagalnogo_fondu_derzhavnogo_biudzhetu_nadiishlo_762_mlrd_grn-3432
- Postanova Kabinetu Ministriv Ukrainy «Pro vypusk oblihatsij vnutrishn’oi derzhavnoi pozyky «Vijs’-kovi oblihatsii». (2022). [Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine. Decree «On the issuance of domestic government bonds «Military bonds»]. No. 156. dated02.2022 Uriadovyi kurier, February 25, no 41.
The article was received 15.04.2022