JEL classification: Q01
Introduction. Addressing inequality and poverty is one of the priorities of economic development in most countries of the world, as well as one of the key factors in ensuring economic and social stability. The need to address these issues requires the introduction of new concepts of development, such as the concept of sustainable development or the concept of inclusive development.
The purpose of the article is to generalize the approaches to defining the concept of inclusiveness, research of various aspects of the concept of inclusive development, indicators of its evaluation.
Results. The essence of the concept of “inclusive development” is considered. The key characteristics of inclusive development are indicated focusing on accelerated poverty reduction, coverage of all sectors of the economy, attracting a larger share of the country’s labor force. The key discussion aspects of the theory of inclusive development are identified and analyzed: terminological, basic, substantive and applied. The shortcomings of the existing system for assessing the success of countries’ development, based on the use of GDP, are studied. The essence, shortcomings and prospects of using a more comprehensive indicator Inclusive Growth and Development Index (IDI), based on the calculation of 12 partial indicators, are identified.
Conclusions. According to the results of the study, the essence and debatable aspects of the concept of inclusive development which is based on the basic principles of the theory of sustainable development are determined. It is substantiated that increasing the inclusiveness of the economic system by involving the majority of the population in active economic activity and participation in the distribution of its results should be in the interests of a wide range of stakeholders. It is determined that promising areas of further research are the transition of this concept from theoretical constructions to the definition of practical tools and models for implementing the principles of inclusive development for the country as a whole and individual economic subsystems within it.
Key words: inclusion, concept of inclusive development, economic growth, Inclusive Growth and Development Index.
- ua: Website. Available at: https://slovnyk.ua/index.php?swrd=%D1%96%D0%BD%D0%BA%D0%BB%D1%8E%D0%B7%D1%96%D1%8F
- Inclusive Growth Commission (2017). “Inclusive growth for people and places: challenges and opportunities”, RSA, London [Online]. Available at: https://www.thersa.org/globalassets/pdfs/reports/rsa_inclusivegrowth-commission-final-report-march-2017.pdf
- Europe 2020. A strategy for smart, sustainable and inclusive growth. Brussels. Website. Available at: http://ec.europa.eu/europe2020/index_en.htm
- Mel`nik, M.I. (2019). Inklyuzivniy vimir rozvitku mist – tsentriv dilovoyi aktivnosti Ukrayini: tendentsiyi ta perspektivi: naukova dopovid`. [Inclusive dimension of development of cities – centers of business activity of Ukraine: tendencies and prospects: scientific report]. L`viv.
- Inclusive growth. OECD: Better Policies for better lives. Website. Available at: http:// oecd.org/inclusive-growth/#introduction.
- Lanchovichina, E., Lundstrom, S. (2009). Inclusive Growth Analytics Framework and Application. Policy Research Working Paper 4851. Washington. Available at: http://documents.worldbank.org/curated/en/771771468180864543/pdf/WPS4851.pdf.
- Salatiuk, M. (2013). «Economic growth as a necessary condition for the transition to sustainable development». Naukovyj chasopys NPU imeni M.P.Drahomanova. Seriia №18. Ekonomika i pravo. 2013. Issue 21. pp. 3–11.
- Adzhemoghlu D., Robinson D. (2018) Chomu naciji zanepadajutj (Why Nations Fail). Nash format. Kyiv. Ukraine.
- Economist from Ukraine, who taught the world to calculate GDP. BBC Ukraine Website. Available at: https://www.bbc.com/ukrainian/ukraine_in_russian/2016/04/160429_ru_s_simon_kuznets.
- GDP is not a good measure of wellbeing – it’s too materialistic. The Guardian. Website. Available at: https://www.theguardian.com/business/2018/dec/03/gdp-wellbeing-health-education-environment-joseph-stiglitz.
- Ease of Doing Business rankings. The World Bank Group – International Development, Proverty, & Sustainability. Website. Available at: https://www.doingbusiness.org/en/rankings.
- The Inclusive Development Index 2018. The World Economic Forum. Website. Available at: https://www.weforum.org/reports/the-inclusive-development-index-2018.
- In 2018, more than two thousand millionaires filed declarations. Ukrainian News. Website. Available at: https://ukranews.com/ua/news/625647-miljonery-podaly-v-dva-razy-bilshe-deklaratsij-v-2018.
- Didukh, S.M. (2020). «Contradictions of the concept of inclusive development and directions of their solution». Infrastruktura rynku. Issue 42. pp. 171-175.
The article was received 20.07.2020