JEL classification: Q18
Introduction. Current conditions of socio-economic relations development, formation of a single Food independence require special attention in the realization conditions of the state food security strategy, since the implementation of the state foreign economic policy aimed at maintaining the openness of internal markets in terms of Ukraine’s integration into the multilateral system of WTO food security of the state and some pressure from foreign trading partners.
Purpose. The purpose of the article is to develop methodological bases for guaranteeing food security and independence, the factors of their formation and to develop recommendations for guaranteeing the food security of the state under the influence of foreign economic factors.
Methods. The methods of system analysis and synthesis, abstract-logical, monographic, generalization, were used in the study.
Results. Food security and its components have been investigated. Theoretical, methodological and practical approaches to the study of food independence and food self-sufficiency as the main elements of food security are analyzed. The conclusions on the state of food security of Ukraine are formulated on the basis of indicators of food independence by main foodstuffs, self-sufficiency of basic types of foodstuffs, foreign trade in foodstuffs and balance of foreign trade in foodstuffs.
The main problems that do not allow to increase the food independence of the state are identified and those that need to be solved within the framework of the state food security strategy. The strategic tasks of the state policy for the achievement of food independence and self-sufficiency are considered in the conditions of increasing integration of Ukraine into the system of international relations. A set of measures is proposed to stimulate the development of a number of agriculture sectors and food industry to ensure their competitiveness within the framework of the food security strategy. The necessity of using indirect instruments and mechanisms of financial support to the agricultural sector, the introduction of an effective system of foreign economic regulation in the agrarian sector are justified, aimed at protecting domestic producers from unfair and excessive competition from foreign suppliers and promoting equipoise.
Key words: food security, food independence, food security, foreign trade, agrarian sector.
- Shutaieva, O. O., Tropanets, N. A. (2010). «Food security as a socio-economic category, its contents and main directions of provision in the conditions of globalization». Vcheni zapysky Tavriiskoho natsionalnoho universytetu im. V. I. Vernadskoho. Seriia: Ekonomika i upravlinnia. Vol. 23 (62). No 1. pp. 174-185.
- Tryhub, A. Yu. (2010). «On the issue of international legal understanding of the concept of food security». Naukovyi visnyk Natsionalnoho universytetu bioresursiv i pryrodokorystuvannia Ukrainy. Seriia «Pravo». Issue 156. pp. 269-275.
- FAO. 1983. World Food Security: a Reappraisal of the Concepts and Approaches: Director General’s Report. Rome; The State of Food Insecurity in the World 2001. Rome: URL: http://www.fao.org/docrep/003/Y1500E/Y1500E00.HTM
- Law of Ukraine «On State Support to Agriculture» No 1877-IV. Available at: http://zakon1.rada.gov.ua/cgi-bin/laws/main.cgi?nreg=1877-15 5. Draft Law of Ukraine «On Food Security of Ukraine» No. 8370-1. Available at: http://search.ligazakon.ua/l_doc2.nsf/link1/JF6GI01A.html
- Kramon-Taubadel, Sh., Zoria, S., Shtrive, L. (2001). Polityka ta rozvytok silskoho hospodarstva v Ukraini [Agriculture Policy and Development in Ukraine]. Alfa-Prynt. Kyiv. Ukraine.
- Conway, G., Barber, E. (1990). After the Green Revolution. Sustainable Agriculture for Development.: Earthscan Publication Ltd. London. UK.
- Sen, A. (1981). Poverty and Famines: An Essay on Entitlement and Deprivation. ClarendonPress, Oxford. UK.
- Mykhasiuk, I., Melnyk, A., Krupka, M., Zaloha, Z. (2000). Derzhavne rehuliuvannia ekonomiky [State regulation of the economy]. Atika. Elha-N. Kyiv. Ukraine.
- Humennyi, V. D., Muzyka, P. M. (2014). «The state of food security of the population of Ukraine at the beginning of the millennium». Naukovyi visnyk Lvivskoho natsionalnoho universytetu veterynarnoi medytsyny ta biotekhnolohii im. Gzhytskoho. Vol. 16, No 1(1). pp. 134-150.
- Seperovych, N., Shevtsov, O. (2002). «Food security in Ukraine: state, problems, solutions». Aktualni pytannia ahrarnoi polityky. Kyiv. pp. 254-300.
- Sukhyy, P., Yachniuk, M. Sukhyy, P. (2016). «Ukrainian food security: present-day state and problems of formation» Scientific Letters of Academic Society of Michel Baludansky. Vol. 4. No 6. pp. 150-153.
- The methodology for determining the main food security indicators, approved by the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine No. 1379 «Some issues of food security». Available at: http://zakon2.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/1379-2007-p
- The State Statistics Service of Ukraine. Available at: http://www.ukrstat.gov.ua
- Sychevskyi, M. P. (2019). «Global Food Security and Ukraine’s Place in Achieving It». Ekonomika APK. No1. Available at: https://doi.org/10.32317/2221-1055.201901006
- Zalizniuk, V. P. (2019). «Import substitution in the food security system of Ukraine». Derzhavne upravlinnia: udoskonalennia ta rozvytok. No 1. Available at: http://www.dy.nayka.com.ua/?op=1&z=1374. DOI: 10.32702/2307-2156-2019.1.29
- Sukhyi, P., Tiuftii, A., Yachniuk, M. (2016). «Food independence as an indicator of the assessment of the food security of Ukraine». Chasopys sotsialno-ekonomichnoi heohrafii. Vol. 21. pp. 53-60.
The article was received 09.07.2019