JEL classification: Q 56; G 39
Introduction. Environmental issues are of great concern almost all over the world and must be addressed at the national and, in some cases, international levels. The prior task is to create, implement, and apply modern approaches and tools because their prevention is more effective than dealing with their negative consequences. Effective environmental management is one of such tools. It provides additional benefits for private and state sector enterprises.
The purpose of the study is to substantiate the environmental management system importance for environmental safety since it is an integral component of it.
Results. The necessary condition for the country’s stable economic development is the ecologization of the production process, which involves reducing the amount of the natural resources use environmentally friendly technologies in production and transportation that would minimize the environmental risks and negative impacts on the environment. The purpose of environmental management is to administer the enterprise activities in such a way that does not cause much harm or damage to the environment and does not drive the humanity to environmental catastrophe. The ecological management does not abrogate or replace the existing state administrative environmental management but only complements it, being an independent initiative of the enterprise. The introduction of environmental management system in enterprises not only increases the enterprise competitiveness in the European, American, and CIS markets but also allows enterprise functioning in accordance with the international law, which eliminates the cost of the fines for environmental damage. The ecological management role is very significant. It is the prevention and a well-timed solution of any urgent environmental problem.
Conclusions. The basic principle of environmental management is the liability of any managerial decision for environmental effects. Thus, the implementation of ISO 14001 is necessary for production, processing, agricultural, and transport enterprises. The ISO 14001 certificate confirms that the environmental management system in the enterprise is relevant and complies with the standard and legislation.
Keywords: ecologization of production, environmental management, ecological safety, environmental management system, principles of ecological management.
- Barkov, D.I. Mezhdunarodnye ekologicheskie standarty kachestva produktsii ISO 14000 i perspektivy ikh vnedreniya v Ukraine. [International ecological standards of the quality of products ISO 14000 and perspectives of their introduction in Ukraine]. Available at:http://www.erudition.ru/referat/printref/id.49971_1.html.
- Biliavs’ka, Yu.V. (2016). «Environmental management of the enterprise». Ekonomika Ukrainy. Issue 4, pp. 104-111.
- Loomis, J., Helfand, G. (2010). Environmental Policy Analysis for Decision Making. Springer.
- Pro ekolohichnu ekspertyzu : Zakon Ukrainy [On ecological expertise : Law of Ukraine]. No. 45/95-ВР dated February 09, 1995. Available at: https://zakon.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/45/95-вр#Text.
- Pro okhoronu navkolyshn’oho pryrodnoho seredovyscha: Zakon Ukrainy [On environmental protection: Law of Ukraine]. No. 1264-XII dated January 01, 2021. Available at: https://zakon.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/1264-12#Text
- Sahaidak, Yu.A. (2015). «Ecological Management: New Opportunities for Ukrainian Enter-prises». Ekonomika. Upravlinnia. Innovatsii. Seriia: Ekonomichni nauky. Issue 2. (14), рр. 134-143.
- Siebert, H. (1998). Economics of environmental theory and policy. Springer. Berlin.
- Sоderbaum, P. (2000). Ecological Economics: A Political Economics Approach to Environment and Development. Earthscan. London.
- Ul’ianova D.K., Kupalova, H.I. (2011). «Formation of an effective system of environmental management and audit». Visnyk Universytetu bankivs’koi spravy Natsional’noho banku Issue 1 (11), pp. 48-53.
The article was received 12.07.2020