УДК 364.144 (477)
JEL classification: D63
Introduction. The greatest and most controversial problem that is characteristic not only for Ukraine but also for the whole world is the economic inequality that accompanies humanity throughout its existence. It negatively affects the standard of population living, affects human development, is a source of social tension and state instability, adversely affects the national economy development, but on the other hand, it is the driving force of the population economic activity. Currently, the question of economic inequality arises quite sharply, because the structure of Ukrainian society is characterized by a low share of the middle class, a large differentiation of incomes, and a large proportion of the poor.
The purpose of the article is to reveal the nature and characteristics of economic inequality in Ukraine, the development of proposals for improving measures to overcome economic inequality in Ukraine.
Results. Economic inequality in Ukraine was studied using the Lorenz curve, Gini coefficient and income quintile ratio. The dynamics of living wage, nominal and real wages in Ukraine are considered. The standard of living and average monthly wages in Ukraine and Europe are analyzed. The main directions of reforming the social policy of Ukraine to ensure sustainable social development are identified. The main measures to overcome economic inequality in Ukraine are identified.
Conclusions. Ukrainian society is characterized by high differentiation between different groups of the population. There is no powerful middle class in Ukraine that should be a pillar of the country’s economic stability. To overcome economic inequality in Ukraine, it is necessary to take the following measures: the establishment of average prices for the range of goods in the consumer basket; providing social transfers directly to the consumer; increasing state social guarantees; balancing the purchasing power of wages and rising prices for goods and services; clear definition and approval by law of social benefits size and categories of people receiving them; strengthening state regulation of the income generation distribution; increasing the employment level; maintenance and development of small and medium-sized businesses; conducting a true monitoring of the strategic directions of poverty reduction among the population; state regulation for strengthening of the middle class positions.
Keywords: economic inequality, standard of living, salary, Lorenz curve, Gini coefficient, income quintile ratio.
- The World Inequality Report. Available at: http://wir2018.wid.world/files/download/wir2018-full-reportenglish.pdf
- United Nations Economic Commission for Europe (UNECE). Available at: unece.org
- Koval, N. V. (2016). «Social and economic inequality in Ukraine and in the world: problems of estimation and ways of their solving». Ekonomika ta derzhava. № 2, pp. 46-50.
- Derzhavna sluzhba statystyky Ukrainy [State Statistics Service of Ukraine]. Available at: http://ukrstat.gov.ua [In Ukrainian].
- Human Development Indices and Indicators, 2018. Statistical Update. Available at: http://hdr.undp.org/sites/default/files/2018_human_development_statistical_update.pdf.
- Bryhadyr, V. O. (2017). «Ukraine and European Union: socio-economic stratification due to the population income». Intelekt XXI, 3, pp. 9-15.
- Ukraina: chas vyboru [Ukraine: time of choice]. Available at: http://razumkov.org.ua/upload/Brochure_EU-CU-7-2013.pdf.
- Aksonova, I. V. (2017). «Statistical Support for Analysis of the Social Stratification and Economic Inequality of the Country’s Population». Problemy ekonomiky. № 1, pp. 55-62.
- Balakriieva, O. M., Holovenko, V. A., & Dmytruk, D. A., etal. (2011). Determinanty sotsialno-ekonomichnoi nerivnosti v suchasnii Ukraini: monohrafiia [Determinants of socio-economic inequality in modern Ukraine: monograph]. M. Balakriievoi (Ed.). Kyiv. Ukraine.
- «Impact of minimum wages on employment and economic growth». Natsionalna bezpeka i oborona. № 7, pp. 51-59.
- Social Progress Index, 2017. Available at: https://www2.deloitte.com/content/dam/Deloitte/ua/Documents/research/social-progress-index/2017-SPI_Executive-Summary-Report.pdf [In English].
- Bolshaia, O. (2012). «The impact of the state of scientific-technical and innovative development of the regional economy on the employment of the population of Ukraine». Ukraina: aspekty pratsi. № 4, pp. 11-17.
- Markina, I. A., Arancii V. I. (2018). Innovative aspects of social security formation. Innovative economics: theoretical and practical aspects: collective. monograph., Vip 3. for ed. D.Sc., associate professor. E. I. Maslennikova. Kherson: Grin D.S., pp. 14-24.
- Markina, I., Diachkov, D. (2018). The influence of social responsibility on the quality of life improvement as a significant element of management of sustainable development of cooperatives: Ukrainian and foreign experience Journal of Research on Trade, Management and Economic Development, Volume 5, Issue 2(10)/2018. Available at: http://jrtmed.uccm.md [In English]
- Bondar-Pidhurska, O. V. (2012). «The mechanism of formation of the middle class as the basis of competitive ness of the economy and sustainable innovative development of Ukraine». Ekonomika ta derzhava. № 7, pp. 22-26.
- Nykyforenko, V. (2012). «Forecasting human development in the context of global trends». Ukraina: aspekty pratsi. 1, pp. 14-19.