УДК: 334.716: [637.1:664(477)
JEL classification: O13
Introduction. An integral part of a complete human diet, especially in children and the elderly, is the consumption of dairy products that contain essential nutrients in such quantities and forms that are no longer found in any other food – milk protein and fat, lactose, lactic acid bacteria, enzymes, minerals, vitamins A and D, etc. Dairy industry is an extremely important sector of social production, which performs not only an important economic function.
Purpose. Research of features of economic activity of milk processing enterprises in the food industry of Ukraine.
Results. The article conducts a study that revealed a declining trend in the number of dairy plants in Ukraine, which generally increase the production of dairy products. It has been established that the number of dairy cattle, the production of raw milk and its income to processing enterprises is steadily declining. Based on a comparative analysis of the range of dairy products and its imports, it is concluded that a significant share of imported products is imported into Ukraine in large containers, packaged in domestic enterprises and sold as products of Ukrainian dairies. It is claimed that the reason for the increase in butter production while reducing the production of raw milk is in many cases its falsification – the replacement of milk fat with palm oil.
Conclusions. The trend of changing the number of milk processing enterprises is a mirror image of the general trend in the food industry of Ukraine – in general, a declining trend with so far unstable growth since 2017. The production of many types of dairy products is growing. The reason for the increase in butter production while reducing the production of raw milk is in many cases its falsification – the replacement of milk fat with palm oil. Economic activity of Ukrainian dairies, in terms of forming the raw material base, is to expand the import of cheap European dairy products used as raw materials and replace milk fat with palm oil. This leads to the continuation of the curtailment of their cooperation with domestic milk producers, which is one of the main reasons for the reduction of its production.
Keywords: industrial enterprises, milk processing industry, food industry, dairy raw materials, dairy products, import, counterfeiting, palm oil.
- Masliaieva, О.О. (2015). «Assessing the impact of the external environment on the competitiveness of dairy enterprises». Naukovyj visnyk Khersons’koho derzhavnoho universytetu. Issue 10. Part 3, рр. 75-78.
- Masliaieva, О.О., Sitkovska, A.O., Kravchenko, M.V. (2017). «The analysis and assessment of competitive advantages of dairy enterprises annotation». Ekonomika ta upravlinnia pidpryiemstvamy. Issue 3, рр. 51-54.
- Karpenko, A.V. (2017). «Competitiveness of dairy milk processing plants and mechanism of its provision». Ekonomika ta upravlinnia pidpryiemstvamy. Issue 13, рр. 101-107.
- Kozak, O.A. (2018). «Milk sector development in the context of ensuring of food safety in Ukraine». Ekonomika APK. №2, рр. 14-22.org/10.32317/2221-1055.201802014.
- Tereszczuk, M. (2018). «Comparative evaluation of the Polish dairy industry against countries of European Union». Ekonomika APK. №3, рр. 97-103.
- Rossokha, V.V., Petrychenko, O.A. (2018). «Development of the market of milk and dairy products in Ukraine». Ekonomika APK. №8, рр. 43-54.
- Mykhailenko, O.V., Skomorokhova, S.Iu., Chava, K.R. (2018) «Increase of competitiveness of dairy products in Ukraine». Ekonomika ta upravlinnia pidpryiemstvamy. Issue 29, рр. 16-20.
- Patyka, N.I. (2019). «Competitiveness and positioning of Ukraine on the world market of dairy products». Ekonomika APK. №5, рр. 77-86 doi.org/10.32317/2221-1055.201905077.
- Rossokha, V.V., Petrychenko, O.A. (2019). «Forecasting trends and investments for the dairy industry and ensuring rational consumption of milk and dairy products by the population». Ekonomika APK. №12, рр. 16-27org/10.32317/2221-1055.201912016.
- Usykova, O. (2019). «Concept of competitive strategic choice and analysis of development of Ukrainian mine-fertilizer enterprises». Skhidna Yevropa: ekonomika, biznes ta upravlinnia. Issue 2(19), рр. 198-204.
- Lagodiienko V., Karyy O., Ohiienko M., Kalaman O., Lorvi I., Herasimchuk T. (2019). Choosing Effective Internet Marketing Tools in Strategic Management. International Journal of Recent Technology and Engineering. 8, no. 3, рр. 5220-5225.
- Mudrak R., Nyzhnyk I., Lagodiienko V., Lagodiienko N. Impact of Seasonal Production on the Dynamics of Prices for Meat and Dairy Products in Ukraine. TEM Journal. Volume 8, Issue 4, рр. 1159-1168. DOI: 10.18421/TEM84-08.
- Kozak, O.A. (2020). «Development of world production and trade in dairy products». The Ekonomika APK. №2, рр. 84-92.org/10.32317/2221-1055.202002084.
- Kil’kist’ sub’iektiv hospodariuvannia za vydamy ekonomichnoi diial’nosti (2010-2019). [Number of business entities by type of economic activity (2010-2019)]. State Statistics Service of Ukraine (2020). Available at: http://www.ukrstat.gov.ua/operativ/operativ2018/fin/pssg/pssg_u/ksg_ek_2010_2019_ue.xlsx.
- Vyrobnytstvo okremykh vydiv promyslovoi produktsii za 2011-2019 roky. [Output of some types industrial products for 2011-2019]. (2020). State Statistics Service of Ukraine Available at: http://www.ukrstat.gov.ua/operativ/operativ2006/pr/prm_ric/xls/vppv_2011_2019.xls.
- Statystychnyj zbirnyk «Sil’s’ke hospodarstvo Ukrainy 2019». [Statistical yearbook «Agriculture of Ukraine 2019»]. (2020). State statistics service of Ukraine. Kyiv. Ukraine.
- Statystychnyj zbirnyk «Sil’s’ke hospodarstvo Ukrainy 2014». [Statistical yearbook «Agriculture of Ukraine 2014»] (2015). State statistics service of Ukraine. Kyiv. Ukraine.
- Eksport-import okremykh vydiv tovariv za krainamy svitu za sichen’-hruden’ 2011 roku. [Foreign trade in certain types of goods by country in 2011]. (2020). State Statistics Service of Ukraine. Available at: http://www.ukrstat.gov.ua/operativ/operativ2011/zd/e_iovt/12_45.zip.
- Zovnishnia torhivlia okremymy vydamy tovariv za krainamy svitu za 2019 rik. [Foreign trade in certain types of goods by country in 2019]. (2020). State Statistics Service of Ukraine. Available at: http://www.ukrstat.gov.ua/operativ/operativ2019/zd/e_iovt/ei_12_2019.zip.
- MilkUA.info (2020). V Ukraini z produktiv najchastishe fal’syfikuiut’ vershkove maslo – Mahalets’ka. [In Ukraine, butter is most often counterfeited from products – Mahaletska]. Available at: http://milkua.info/uk/post/v-ukraini-z-produktiv-najcastise-falsifikuut-verskove-maslo-magalecka.
The article was received 03.01.2020