JEL classification: L10; L11; L51; L81
Introduction. The COVID-19 pandemic has led to significant changes in regional consumer markets, both globally and in Ukraine. In 2021, there was a gradual adaptation to new conditions and the resumption of economic activity. The situation was changed by the aggressive war against Ukraine launched by the Russian Federation at the end of February 2022, as the crisis intensified significantly. In this context, it is important that the experience of overcoming the economic consequences of the introduction of quarantine measures in 2020-21 may become part of a new state policy for Ukraine to regulate consumer markets in a state of war.
The purpose of the article is to identify the main trends in the functioning of regional markets for consumer goods in Ukraine.
Results. Analysis of the state of regional consumer markets by development factors (effective demand, prices and opportunities for production of goods and services) showed that the markets at the beginning of the war on February 24, 2022 were just beginning to recover from stress caused by quarantine measures against the COVID-19 pandemic. It is also substantiated that the war led to the destruction of logistics networks, which affected the availability of goods in various regional consumer markets, the price of consumer goods and services and the deepening of uneven distribution of supply and demand. The gradual adaptation of producers and distributors to the new security and economic situation was noted, and the existing threat of the decline in the quality of consumer goods and services and the violation of consumer rights in the future if hostilities are not stopped in the near future was emphasized.
Conclusions. It is not possible to forecast the situation with regard to regional consumer markets in the long run, but the state will take measures to mitigate the situation, for example by introducing regulation of prices for vital goods and assistance to enterprises producing them, as was done during quarantine measures to overcome the COVID-19 pandemic, especially in regions or areas with the most difficult security situations, may improve the situation in regional consumer markets.
Keywords: regional consumer markets, food security, the impact of war on the economy.
- The impact of bottlenecks in global product markets. (2022). The Office for Budget Responsibility: website. Available at: https://obr.uk/box/the-impact-of-bottlenecks-in-global-product-markets/.
- Bezpartochny, M. (2015). «Development of the regional consumer market in the system of effective functioning of trade enterprises». Rehionalʹna ekonomika. no. 4. pp. 43-50.
- Popadynets, N.M. (2020). Rehuliuvannia rozvytku vnutrishn’oho rynku spozhyvchykh tovariv Ukrainy: teoriia ta metodolohiia. [Regulation of the development of the internal market of consumer goods of Ukraine: theory and methodology]. State University «Institute of Regional Studies named after M.I. Dolishnyi National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine». Ukraine.
- Financial Stability Report: June 2022. (2022). National Bank of Ukraine: website. Available at: https://bank.gov.ua/ua/stability/report.
- Voytiuk, T. (2022). How business feels during the war – says an economic expert]. Public news: website. Available at: https://suspilne.media/252189-ak-pocuvaetsa-biznes-pid-cas-vijni-rozpovidae-ekonomicnij-ekspert/.
- The market of fresh dairy products is relatively stable. (2022). INFAGRO: website. Available at: https://infagro.com.ua/en/2022/06/01/rinok-svizhih-molokoproduktiv-umovno-stabilniy/.
- Deyaki pytannya vyplaty dopomohy na prozhyvannya vnutrishnʹo peremishchenym osobam: Postanova Kabinetu Ministriv. (2022). [Some issues of payment of living allowance to internally displaced persons. Resolution of the Cabinet of Ministers]. № 332 dated March 20, 2022. Available at: https://zakon.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/332-2022-%D0%BF.
- Express issue: price indices. (2022). State Statistics Service of Ukraine: website. Available at: http://www.ukrstat.gov.ua/.
- Warren, M. (2022). War in Ukraine and inflation slow growth in EBRD regions. European Bank for Reconstruction and Development: website. Available at: https://www.ebrd.com/news/2022/war-in-ukraine-and-inflation-slow-growth-in-ebrd-regions.html.
- Russian Invasion to Shrink Ukraine Economy by 45 Percent this Year: press release. (2022). The World Bank: website. Available at: https://www.worldbank.org/en/news/press-release/2022/04/10/russian-invasion-to-shrink-ukraine-economy-by-45-percent-this-year.
- Hubareva, (2022). Food security: how to protect yourself and your family from starvation in the fall. Rubryka: website. Available at: https://rubryka.com/article/food-safety/.
- Derevyanko, A. (2022). The main task is to survive. What worries business in Ukraine during the war. European Business Association: website. Available at: https://eba.com.ua/golovna-zadacha-vystoyaty-shho-turbuye-biznes-v-ukrayini-pid-chas-vijny/.
- War and regions of Ukraine: how attractiveness for entrepreneurs is changing. (2022). DIIABusiness: website. Available at: https://business.diia.gov.ua/cases/novini/vijna-ta-regioni-ukraini-ak-zminuetsa-privablivist-dla-pidpriemciv.
In Ukraine 23.5 thousand km of roads and 289 road bridges were damaged. (2022). Cherkasy regional state administration: website. Available at: https://ck-oda.gov.ua/novyny-cherkaskoyi-oblasti/v-ukrayini-poshkodzheno-235-tis-km-dorig-ta-289-avtomobilnix-mostiv/.
The article was received 15.03.2022