DOI: : https://doi.org/10.36887/2415-8453-2020-2-3
JEL classification: D24; O12;Q12
Introduction. The article examines the current state and dynamics of dairy farming in Ukraine as one of the leading industries. Its purpose is to ensure milk production amounts that meet the standards of state food security and conditions for expanding the export potential of the domestic economy. Despite the fact that milk production in Ukraine is profitable, it does not restrain the negative trends of catastrophic reduction of cows and milk production. The level of development of the agro-industrial complex, including dairy farming, depends on the social and food stability of the economic system of the district, region and the state as a whole.
The purpose of this work is to assess the state of dairy farming in Ukraine, the development of theoretical provisions and practical recommendations for improving the efficiency of production and sale of milk in agricultural enterprises.
Research methodology. The methods of analysis and synthesis, abstract-logical are used (formation of theoretical generalizations and conclusions), economic-mathematical, statistical, comparison and generalization.
Results. The milk production and its structure, the number of cows and their structure by categories of farms in Ukraine for 1990-2019; the volume and structure of gross agricultural output for 1990-2019 (at constant prices in 2016) were studied in the article. The grouping of agricultural enterprises in Ukraine by the number of cows, which was available at the beginning of 2020; an assessment of the efficiency of milk production and sales in agricultural enterprises of Ukraine for 2005, 2010 and 2018 have been provided.
Conclusions. It was found that the purchase price of milk, both from agricultural enterprises and from households supplied to milk processing enterprises, is almost three times lower than the final retail price. It is proposed to increase the economic efficiency of milk production by resolving the contradictions between agricultural and dairy enterprises, as well as other subjects of agro-industrial production in the process of achieving their economic interests in providing the population with quality dairy products.
Keywords: agro-industrial production, livestock industry, dairy farming, economic efficiency, productivity, profitability.
- Ekonomika vy`robny`cztva moloka i molochnoyi produkciyi v Ukrayini. [Economics of milk and dairy production in Ukraine]. (2005). in Sabluk, P. T., Boiko, V. I. (ed.). NNTs IAE, Kyiv, Ukraine.
- Andrijchuk, V. G. and Sas, I. S. (2017). Koncentraciya v agrarnij sferi ekonomiky`: problemni aspekty`. [Concentration in the agricultural sector of the economy: problematic aspects]. Kyiv: KNEU. Ukraine.
- Avercheva, N. O. (2019). «Improving the quality of milk as a basis for product competitiveness in the European market». Ahrosvit. 22, pp. 19-30.
- Shyian, N. I., (2016). «Development of cattle breeding in Ukraine». Ekonomika APK. no. 9, pp. 38-43.
- Nitsenko, V.S. and Danko, I. (2019). «Development of milk production in Ukraine and economic stability of the dairy subcomplex». Ukrayins`ky`j zhurnal pry`kladnoyi ekonomiky`.vol.4. pp.8-15.
- Ivanova, A. S., (2017). «Dairy farming: current status and problems to be solved», Ahrosvit, no. 22, pp. 57-62.
- Petry`chenko, O.A., (2018). «Analysis of trends in the dairy industry in the dairy production chain». Ekonomika APK. no. 5, pp. 33-40.
- Antoshchenkova, V.V. and Kopytko, V. (2019). «State regulation and support of the dairy industry in the context of European integration». Visnyk Harkivs’kogo nacional’nogo agrarnogo universytetu im. V.V.Dokuchajeva. Ekonomichni nauky. Kharkov.: KhNAU. Issue4. pp. 201-210.
- Antoshhenkova, V. V. and Kravchenko,M. (2016). «Economic efficiency of milk production and sales in Ukraine». Actual problems of innovative economy. no.3. pp. 39-44.
- Vasy`l`chenko, O. M. (2018). Ekonomichna efekty`vnist` vy`robny`cztva moloka v sil`s`kogospodars`ky`x pidpry`yemstvax. [Economic efficiency of milk production in agricultural enterprises]. Ekonomichny`j analiz: zb. nauk. pracz` [Economic analysis: a collection of scientific works]. In Yaroshhuk O. V. (ed.). vol. 28. pp. 110-118. «Ekonomichna dumka». Ternopil. Ukraine.
- Oficijnyj veb-sajt Derzhkomstatu Ukrai’ny. [Official website of the State Statistics Service of Ukraine]. Available at: http://www.ukrstat.gov.ua.
The article was received 20.01.2020