JEL classification: O18
The article identifies the role of agricultural enterprises, rural communities, and the state in the development of rural areas of Ukraine.
The author gives her vision of the category “rural areas” for this study and summarizes the functions inherent in rural areas. This paper determines the integrated function of rural areas, which is to create a spatial basis for comfortable living, economic activity, preservation, and enhancement of bio- and landscape diversity.
The article analyzes the main indicators of activity of agricultural enterprises, indicators of agricultural development, and socioeconomic indicators of the level and quality of life of rural residents. It is determined that the positive dynamics of agricultural production in Ukraine is not accompanied with a corresponding improvement in living standards of rural residents. It is concluded that it is necessary to modify the role of agricultural enterprises through compliance with the principles of sustainable development while maximizing their target functions.
The paper examines the participation of the state and united territorial communities (UTC) in rural development. It is outlined that in Ukraine support for rural development at the state level is carried out mainly based on a sectoral approach in the presence of elements of a territorial approach. Such elements include the financing of infrastructure projects in rural areas. Decentralization in the country has strengthened the role of UTC in rural development. The paper identifies the advantages and challenges faced by UTC in the process of rural development planning.
The importance of maintaining the advantages of rural areas is substantiated. It is emphasized that the development of rural infrastructure, the improvement of its ecological condition is possible with the common efforts of the state, local governments, and enterprises.
Keywords: rural areas, rurbanization, decentralization, agricultural enterprises, sustainable development.
- A long-term vision for the EU’s rural areas. European Commission. Available at: https://ec.europa.eu/info/strategy/priorities-2019-2024/new-push-european-democracy/long-term-vision-rural-areas_en#avisionforruralareastowards2040
- Derzhavna sluzhba statystyky. Valovyi rehionalnyi produkt 2019. [State Statistics Service. Gross regional product 2019]. Available at: http://www.ukrstat.gov.ua/druk/publicat/kat_u/2021/zb/04/zb_vrp_2019.pdf
- Derzhavna sluzhba statystyky. Ukraina u tsyfrakh 2020. [State Statistics Service. Ukraine in 2020 figures]. Available at: http://www.ukrstat.gov.ua/druk/publicat/kat_u/2021/zb/07/zb_Ukraine%20in%20figures_20u.pdf
- Zvit pro ohliad vytrat derzhavnoho biudzhetu u sferi rehionalnoho rozvytku v chastyni pidtrymky formuvannia infrastruktury obiednanykh terytorialnykh hromad. [Report on the review of state budget expenditures in the field of regional development in terms of supporting the formation of the infrastructure of united territorial communities]. Available at: https://www.minregion.gov.ua/wp-content/uploads/2021/03/1.-zvit.pdf
- Korobenko R.I. (2017). «The genesis of the concept of «rural areas» and its essence». Ekonomika APK. № 3. pp. 92-96.
- United Nations. Ukraine. 2017 National Baseline Report «Sustainable Development Goals: Ukraine». Available at: https://ukraine.un.org/uk/49413-2017-nacionalna-dopovid-cili-stalogo-rozvitku-ukraina
- Pro zatverdzhennia Natsionalnoi ekonomichnoi stratehii na period do 2030 roku. Postanova Kabinetu ministriv Ukrainy № 179 vid 03.03.2021r. [On approval of the National Economic Strategy for the period up to 2030. Resolution of the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine № 179 of 03.03.2021]. Available at: https://www.kmu.gov.ua/npas/pro-zatverdzhennya-nacionalnoyi-eko-a179
- Proekt Zakonu Ukrainy «Pro uporiadkuvannia silskoi poselenskoi merezhi, pohlyblennia pryntsypiv mistsevoho samovriaduvannia u silskii mistsevosti ta spryiannia deurbanizatsii narodonaselennia». [Draft Law of Ukraine «On streamlining the rural settlement network, deepening the principles of local self-government in rural areas and promoting deurbanization of the population»]. Available at: http://w1.c1.rada.gov.ua/pls/zweb2/webproc34?id=&pf3511=34368&pf35401=134692
- Cherenko L.M. (2021). Model rivnia zhyttia v umovakh sotsialno-ekonomichnoi nestabilnosti. [The standard of living in conditions of socio-economic instability]. Instytut demohrafii ta sotsialnykh doslidzhen imeni M.V. Ptukhy NAN Ukrainy. Kyiv. Ukraine.
The article was received 25.10.2021