JEL classification: F29; P23; Q02
The article examines the role of the commodity exchange as an innovative and institutional element in the development of international commodity markets. The current trends in the development of the international commodity stock market have been determined, compared to the volumes of world futures and options for 2018-2019, the number of outstanding contracts and their changes have been investigated. The transformation processes inherent in the international commodity exchange are considered and characterized. The structure of the international stock market by geographical regions is reflected. Trading volumes in different regions of 2019 are compared to 2018. Analysis of futures, options index of the capital index, interest rate trading, energy futures, options trading and precious metals trade have been done.
The results of the world’s largest stock exchanges by volume of trading in 2018-2019 are presented. One of the criteria examined is the volume of trading on the Intercontinental Exchange, which is due to the lower level of activity on all its subsidiaries in Europe, North America and the Asia-Pacific region. The current state of stock exchange trade in Ukraine is analysed, examples of obstacles for the effective functioning of stock exchanges of Ukraine are given. The development of commodity exchanges in Ukraine over recent years is considered, with an indication of the tendency of their development. Examples of commodities are indicated that will be used for the development of the commodity stock market of Ukraine. The statistical information on the number and structure of exchanges by specialization, their characteristics and role are investigated.
The conclusions on the stock role market in an economy have been formed. The international experience of trading on the exchanges is generalized. The evolution of the stock market from the fair to the modern electronic stock market with its advantages and convenience is noted. The conclusions of the development of stock exchange trade in Ukraine are summarized: namely obstacles to its development and misunderstanding of advantages. Suggestions for successful development of stock exchange trading are given in accordance with world experience and national peculiarities.
Key words: commodity exchange, futures, option, stock trading, international commodity exchanges, agricultural products, market infrastructure, stock exchange.
- Vavdijchyk, M. (2017). «Modern state and tendencies of development of exchange trade in Ukraine». Global’ni ta natsional’ni problemy ekonomiky. Issue 15, pp.182-185.
- Derzhavna sluzhba statystyky. Statystychnyj zbirnyk. Ukraina v tsyfrakh 2016. [State Statistics Service Statistical collection. Ukraine in numbers 2016]. Available at: http://www.gov.ua/
- Derzhavna sluzhba statystyky. Publikatsii. Vnutrishnia torhivlia. Diial’nist’ birzh u 2014. [Public Statistics Office Publications. Domestic Trade. Stock Exchanges in 2014]. Available at: http://www.ukrstat.gov.ua/
- Derzhavna sluzhba statystyky. Publikatsii. Vnutrishnia torhivlia. Kil’kist’ birzh za 2015. [State Statistics Service Publications. Domestic Trade. Number of exchanges for 2015]. Available at: http://www.ukrstat.gov.ua/
- Zaborovs’kyj, P. (2015). «Current state and prospects of development of stock trading in Ukraine». Naukovi pratsi Chornomors’koho derzhavnoho universytetu imeni Petra Mohyly kompleksu «Kyievo-Mohylians’ka akademiia». Vol. 265, Issne. 253, pp. 49-51.
- Reznik, P. (2016). «Features of functioning of the domestic stock market in modern conditions». Zbirnyk naukovykh prats’ Mizhrehional’noi Akademii Upravlinnia personalom. Vol. 50, pp. 115-118.
- Schepina, T. H., Riaboshapka, V. A. (2015). «Analyzing such a temporary market birzhovoho market of Ukraine». Problemy pidvyschennia efektyvnosti infrastruktury. Vol.40, pp. 96-100
- FIA releases annual trading statistics showing record ETD volume in 2018. Available at: https://fia.org/articles/fia-releases-annual-trading-statistics-showing-record-etd-volume-2018
- Global Futures and Options Trading Reaches Record Level in 2019. Available at: https://fia.org/articles/global-futures-and-options-trading-reaches-record-level-2019
The article was received 09.10.2019